Thursday, July 23, 2009

Montgomery can Change!!!

If you are familiar with Montgomery at all you know we have HUGE racial issues. There is a LARGE number of white families moving to the suburbs of Montgomery or as far East in Montgomery as you can get to get away from "bad neighborhoods" and bad school systems.

We at Gateway Baptist church have been praying far a long time about a change to happen in Montgomery and in the hearts of the people in this city. About a year ago our youth group came home from a mission trip where they worked in the innercity. They decided they shouldn't just travel to a different place to make a difference they should do it where they are. So last fall they started a kids club at church on Sunday night and invited the neighborhood kids that are right behind Gateway. That ministry has touched so many lives in our community and our church. We have seen young men come to Christ and be baptized into the family of believers. We have also seen a predominately white church grow into a multicultural church.

This change in our church has taught me so much about my own prejudices that I didn't really know I had, and the Lord is breaking me of them. Thank you Jesus for changing my heart.

All this to say that I was at another blog today and I saw this link. I don't know a lot about this ministry but I do know that this family moved to live in the Washington Ferry area to make a difference for the Kingdom. They didn't run like so many people in Montgomery have. Please check this link out and, if you can, donate $3. I mean really what is $3, a coke and a candy bar or a morning coffee? Please help this family make a difference.
http://www.bradgoode.typepad.com/6000_feet_away/

post signature

1 comment:

brad goode said...

Hey Mandy,

Thanks so much for sending some people our way! Hopefully we can get this thing done! Be sure to check out the links on the side of the page that give you a little more info on Common Ground. Sounds like a cool ministry you have at Gateway. Some people from your church are coming to the Leadership Summit at Saint James in a couple weeks and I will be sure to check in with them. Thanks again.

peace

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers